TCU versus Utah in 2009 was going to be a huge matchup for the Mountain West Conference title with much more on the line nationally. And just in time for this big game, with ESPN Gameday coming to Fort Worth, the Horned Frogs football team and Nike unveiled the new TCU Nike Pro Combat uniforms. These specially designed and engineered uniforms are more than just high-tech. These uniforms were also designed with an edge for flare and tradition. ‘DON’T BACK DOWN’
- Nike Pro Combat jerseys are made out of special lightweight material that is durable, breathable and lightweight when wet. The team’s ‘Don’t Back Down’ mantra is embroidered on the inner collar of the jersey. The TCU jersey is mainly purple with black-capped sleeves with white numbering and white scripting.
- The TCU Pro Combat pants also feature the lizard-skin design that blends down to black with a purple and black stripe on the side. There is a Horned Frog logo on the side of the hip and a TCU logo on the back of the pants.
- All Horned Frog fans know that the ‘Horned Frog’ is actually a lizard. Nike took that and ran with the design that has a lizard skin helmet, black stripe that tapers in the back and two red lines. To protect themselves, Horned Frogs can shoot blood out of their eyes and Nike added that element to the helmet.
- Nike is also known for their Pro Combat gear that is worn under the pads. The top that was worn under the pads has a lizard-skin design, black-capped sleeves and red lines that travel under the arms.
- TCU Nike Vapor Trail gloves with the Horned Frog logo. The ‘Don’t Back Down’ mantra is also sewn into the cuff of the gloves.
- The Nike Zoom Vapor Fly cleats were worn and they feature a sock liner that also has ‘Don’t Back Down’ sewn into the liner.
LEFT FIELD THOUGHTS:
Hands down one of my all time favorite uniforms and the birth of Nike Pro Combat. I absolutely love the purple jersey and the black capped sleeves. The motto says it all. And to top it off, literally, the helmet with the blood lines is super cool.